- Called a nearby gym to see how much a membership would be and it’s nearly 50 dollars a month. WTF! And they even say they’re not-for-profit and there’s barely anything in it (i.e. no pool, etc) with limited equipment. Not to mention they only open at 7am. WTF!
- Two of my work days got cancelled this week, once due to weather, the other because the person I was going to fill in for decided to come in tomorrow. I’m needing a second job here, seriously.
- Earlier, I walk into the grocery store and I’m ambushed by a wall of flowers within 3 feet of the door. WTF! There was even a cashier for people who wanted to buy flowers ffs. I remember when grocery stores only had groceries.
- Adding to the second point, I’ve looked for secondary careers and it’s a slap in the face. They ask for all kinds of experience and education and pay like 12/hr. Yeah, that’ll help your old school loans real fast.
- (inaudible scream)
I’m pissed. I took a midterm test for one of my upgrade courses and probably barely scratched 50 %. The test had these flaws:
- 9 a.m. on a Saturday
- drive 20 miles to take it
- questions not in notes
- questions highly derivative from actual class notes
- studied for 2 weeks (something I rarely ever do; something I rarely ever need to do — no I’m not tuting my own horn, but I’m not the dumbest either)
- tons of maths question.. this is biology, not math
- if I’d administered a test like this as a teacher, I’d get reprimanded
- more questions very loosely based, if at all, on notes
It pisses me off that you pay $1500 for a course and don’t get all your notes and get tested on other stuff. This is designed to fail you. I’d rather have all info even if 2000 pages than nothing and having to guess down the road. One of the worst tests, and believe me, I’ve written plenty in my time.
So my cat licks himself bald here and there. The food helps sort of, but better than off the store shelf food. I get him the ‘prescription’ food which has to be from a vet. They have total monopoly on any hypoallergenic foods. Thing is, I’d like to transfer to a closer vet, they all tell me the same thing… we need to see your cat before we give him the food (in spite of prescription existing). What kind of b*llshit is this?
I’ve yet to meet a vet that actually cares about animals more than making money. Sure, you’re entitled to making your money, but not for tests and examinations they don’t need. When I brought him in to get him checked, she’s like we’ll need to do a swab analysis (sample from bare spot to see if fungi or infectiousness exists)… I agreed. Then she’s like we should check that ear… (I’m figuring here that that’s part of the same analysis). But no, boom 40$ a piece for two Q-tips and a couple thin plates… I could have done this at home for free. I could have identified any microorganisms myself. 80$! WTF?
They do this little routine with useless steps when it’s a condition that seems somewhat prominent in the feline world (at least from what I’ve read online). So I can’t say just give him allergy shots or nothing, in spite of it being allergies. Only other reason could be stress which he doesn’t suffer from. Damn it, if I have a soar throat and cold, I don’t need a rectal examination… neither does my cat for his condition.
I hate the way they see our pets as expendable too. They’re not there for you to experiment on some sort of new experimental medical techniques, either. I’ve come to the conclusion that vets are worse than mechanics.
I value my work as a prostitute teacher (substitute) and I want to stay exactly where I am for the near future, at least. Some of my former colleagues that got contracts (their own classes) for a while seem to think they’ve become quite special and suddenly master teachers like they know everything, and they’re better than us who either decide to just work day to day or didn’t get lucky yet. Not to mention the snobbiness… like puh-leeze.
Attempts at power trips and trying to make me look bad will not work with me. If I have a difficult student or student(s), do not come interfere and act like I’ve never worked with kids before, trying to command them. They don’t need multiple bosses and I’m their teacher and boss for the day. Don’t be surprised when I put you in your place either. I do have a backbone. Like that other time in lunchroom where when of you said “Someone’s ahead of you” at microwaves and they’re not around? Well they lost their spot, and no I will not put someone else’s meal in the microwave and quite possibly ruin their meal. Yes, I will make a scene. Not professional? Neither are you. I’ve been picked on my whole life for all sorts of bullshit. Well now, I’m an adult with teeth and a backbone.
Today was a tougher class but not unmanageable. I was settling a couple of kids’ dispute while the other kids were getting restless and a little rowdy. So this random teacher comes along and tries to establish her ‘order’. It made my day when they didn’t listen to her.
It’s the arrogance of some teachers that get to me most, however. Some act like being a teacher is part of some special guild once they get their class… and even before. You’re not more special than the secretary, the janitor, or the educator in your class and or school. If you think your shit doesn’t stink, you’re bound to think you’re better than you really are and the students are the one that will suffer in the long term.
In spite of what is said here, I plan to be learning how to teach better and to always improving myself until the day I retire. So let me learn, and if I need help, I’ll ask for it. It’s like in my former jobs, no one wants to do the hard work and when it’s done, they’re there to take your credit.